Saturday, May 8, 2010
We are embarking on a new HUGE project.... well it wasn't our choice.Lets just say for now....
Horrific rain over hours and hours + clogged main sewer line = sewer back up in our finished basement.
12 inches of yucky gross dirty water.
We lost everything.....
We are starting all over.
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
An icon from my youth - with every song I have memories of some of the best years of my teen years.
I dont agree with his choices and how he lived his life - I do feel or felt sorry for the man he became and the demons he fought.
He was talented
He was interesting to watch
He could never be replaced
He is gone
Monday, July 6, 2009
This is the lake....and our view
Here is our bedroom area - we are thinking about putting a curtain up so give us some privacy when we have guests who might be on the sofa bed - that is if we decide on getting a sofa bed....decisions decisions...
Well there she is - the little cabin - finally almost finished but finished enough to start enjoying our time at the lake.
Sunday, July 5, 2009
Do you have ugly things on your house - how to hide them and turn them into a feature and not an eye sore
When you drove up to my house the first thing you saw attached to the house was the ugly gas meter which is huge, the ugly hydro meter that hung on the siding six feet in the air and the ugly cable box next to it.
One of the first things we did when we moved in ten years ago ( cant believe it has been that long) was cover those eye sores and turn them into "features"
Below see the cute little bird houses attached to the house - well they are covering up what we didn't want to see:
Peek-a-boo there it is - the ugly hydro meter - easy peasy for the hydro reader to check - just open the door which is on a butterfly hinge. The green bird house is covering the cable box.
There are no actual holes drilled for the birds - sorry birds - those are actually not for you - what I did was paint a black circle to make it look like the birds could go in and nest.
Saturday, July 4, 2009
These two hosta's are over ten years old - not sure if you can see in the photo but easy six feet wide. My favorite plant in our garden.
Daisy - I love how "imperfect" it is.
Endless summer hydrangea starting to bloom - they are my favorite flower
Roses growing on the wall of the garage.
More climbing roses
Did not get a good before shot of the dresser I garbage picked- here are the drawers from it - they were really ugly with the worst handles I had ever seen.
Here is another beauty - once again garbage picked during big item pick up - wait to see what it looks like now - stunning - the brown on the table is mould - YUK - but we knew it had potential and I loved the look of the table.
A shot of some of the chairs - they were either garbage picked or from garage sales.
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
We spent the day painting furniture for our cabin - the paint is drying so slow because of all of the rain.
will be posting photos tomorrow....
I am on the fence right now if i leave everything pristinely painted or do i sand it off a bit to make it more rustic.....oh decisions decisions....
Monday, June 29, 2009
What has been keeping me from updating my dear old neglected blog you ask....
all in no particular order
- First week of May had a fantastic family holiday to the great land of the mouse - we had a great time in Florida and cant wait to go back. When planning our trip I was almost laughing at the people who go back time and time again - I am now one of them and honestly cant wait. We had so much fun. Weather was great and the line ups were almost non-existent.
- Kids have started BMX racing so that is taking up a few nights a week and all day Sundays when we are in town.
- Oldest boy graduated high school - sometimes he can be so mature and responsible and sometimes I think he has morphed into an 18 year old body with the mind of a 10 year old - oh boy - boys can be trying. He is a good kid - just an 18 year old....we don't have any drug issues or booze issues so I am super thankful for that. He just thinks he knows everything...oh I remember being 18 years old and thinking I was a "woman of the world". He came home tonight from the girlfriends house and announced he wants to go to Japan to see the cars there. Ugh......
- Middle boy who will be 13 years old soon - has learned the fine art of the perfected miserable "attitude" most of the time. The only decent conversation I have with him results in him grunting back at me or shrugging his shoulders which drives me crazy....crazy I tell ya.
- Youngest boy is a handful - driving me metal not listening and pushing my buttons. But a very happy boy and always laughing and playing silly practical jokes...
- Hubby - got another promotion at work which is going to keep him more busy at work and the cell phone will be permanently attached to the side of his head. Can't complain though - with so many people out of work it is a blessing that he has a good steady job of 24 years and promoted once again.
- My work has been crazy and i am frustrated - with the warmth of summer arriving i am almost bitter than I am working....I think it is the "mood" I have been in lately....more on that later.
- My Mom - I am a bad daughter - not only have I not had time to update my blog which can be done at any time of day or night - I have not visited my mom in almost 2 weeks - head hung in shame...........My Mom has Alzheimer's - it is such a brutally nasty selfish disease. I hate it. Truly hate it. My Mom is complacent though - not a care in the world and always so happy when I visit even though she never remembers that I have been there - or even that I am there if I walk out of the room for more than five minutes.
- it normal for a 40 year old woman to feel so overwhelmed and just cant get it all done to the point that it is too much to even start? Hubby helps out all the time so don't think it is him not helping....he is a great supportive hubby.
- We built a small cabin on my in-laws property last year and now it is time to furnish it. I am playing with the furniture layout and about to embark on painting the antiques we picked up over the last year for the cabin....see item above....just can't seem to get it started....I am frustrated with the layout and getting all the furniture to fit.....
- Gardens - going great - roses are outstanding this year - i think it might be from all the rain.
Well there you go - my sad excuse for ignoring my contribution to the wonderful world of blogging. I will try to update more often and even start posting some super duper photos of our cabin progress....
Monday, April 20, 2009
Sunday, April 19, 2009
1 16 oz container fat free sour cream ($.88)
1. In large skillet, whisk sour cream, green chiles and 1 cup of chicken stock. Add more chicken stock until it comes to the consistency you want for your sauce. Add garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.
2. Before adding the cooked and shredded chicken, save 1 cup of the sour cream sauce.
3. Stir chicken into the sauce and let simmer about 10 minutes, allow flavors time to infuse.
4. Spoon sour cream chicken sauce into tortillas. Roll and place “seam down” into a baking dish. 10 enchiladas fit comfortably in a 9×13 dish.
5. Take the sour cream sauce that you removed and spread it over the tortillas.
6. Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake about 15-20 minutes at 350.
7. Cook corn as directed on package instructions.
8. Serve Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas with Corn.
Cost $5.44 Plus enough for lunch tomorrow
Saturday, April 18, 2009
- Why is it the second a floor is swept the dog shakes his fur all over the clean floor.
- Why is it the second a floor is mopped either Hubs or one of three boys will walk on it with shoes on?
- Why is it that I can never get the laundry finished? There is always more and more to do?
- Why is it that I picked today to clean the house while hubs is out for a motorcycle ride and just found out that tomorrow it is supposed to rain? Should have cleaned the house tomorrow??
- Why is it that I cant keep my room clean?
- Why is it that I expect my kids to keep their rooms clean? See item #5???
- Why is it that when I "go on a diet" or start watching what I eat I gain weight?
- Why is it that I check Facebook far too often when should be doing something else?
- Why is it that no one really updates their blogs on the weekend? Sometimes I want a diversion from doing my chores.
- Why is it that I cant get out of Costco without spending close to $300.00?
- Why is it that I say "I should be" too much when doing item #8 and #9.
- Why is it that I cant keep my "flylady routines" a routine?
- Why is it that I keep forgetting I am going on vacation in a few weeks? (I know I shouldn't complain about this one)
- Why is it that I make the "to-do" list far too long and too much for one day and then still suffer with item #11.
- Why is it that I am creating this list instead of cleaning my room? See item #5
Thursday, April 16, 2009
1) On a cookies sheet, arrange the pretzels then place a Rolo on top of each one. Bake at 220 F. for 2 minutes.
2) Pull out the sheet out of the oven and immediately start placing the Pecans on top and pushing them down, squishing the Rolos.
Monday, April 13, 2009
Whisk hot pepper sauce, 2 tblsp vinegar & cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Spray cooking spray in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken tenders; cook until cooked through & no longer pink in the middle, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add to the bowl with the hot sauce; toss to coat well.
Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, pepper & the remaining 1 tblsp vinegar in a small bowl. Stir in blue cheese.
To assemble wraps: Lay a tortilla on a work surface or plate. Spread with 1 tblsp blue cheese sauce & top with one-fourth of the chicken, lettuce, celery, tomato & onion. Drizzle with some of the hot sauce remaining in the bowl & roll into a wrap sandwich. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
Leftover Old-Fashioned BBQ Chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces
World's Best Blue Cheese Dressing OR a high-quality Ranch. I suppose, if you swing that way, you could use Thousand Island or French, but I've never been a fan.
Leafy green lettuce (I like Romaine)
Hard-boiled eggs; sliced, wedged, crumbled, chopped, whatever.
Chopped green onions or sliced red onions
Blue cheese (if not using aforementioned dressing) or sharp cheddar cheese. Pepper jack might also be good, although I've never tried it.
I wish i had it right now to eat ......
Wash and chop lettuce (if not buying pre-washed, pre-chopped lettuce). Blot with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Arrange lettuce on large dinner plates and add a handful of BBQ chicken. Arrange remaining ingredients on top--you can either keep all the toppings separate and let dinner-eaters mix it up (or not) according to their liking, or you can just go WILD and sprinkle everything on top. Serve with dressing and enjoy!
Sunday, April 12, 2009
melt 1 stick of butter then add in 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 t. cinnamon and stir together.
pour into a 9x13 pan covering the bottom.
then layer slices of bread on the sugar mixture with the crusts removed.
(it would probably just as good with the crusts on....)
i used 15 pieces of bread.
fill in the holes with smaller pieces.
in a mixing bowl whisk together 2 cups of milk and 6 eggs.
pour over the bread.
put it in the oven at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
when it looks baked and golden, pull it out and drizzle syrup over the top.
put it back in the oven under the broiler until brown and bubbly.
Monday, March 30, 2009
Found these really adorable cupcakes here from Gourmet on the go.